- Board certified in Ophthalmology – Lifetime Fellow
- Specializes in: Complex and advanced Glaucoma, Cataract Surgery combined with Glaucoma Surgery, Glaucoma Valve, Stents, Trabeculectomy and Laser Surgery for Glaucoma
- Undergraduate education: Valedictorian at Converse College
- Medical school: Medical College of Georgia, AOA
- Internship (Medical): Flexible Internship at Talmadge Memorial Hospital in Augusta, GA
- Residency training: Storm Eye Institute, MUSC
- Fellowship training: Fellowship in Glaucoma and Diseases of the Anterior Segment, Boston MA
Dr. Sharpe has been involved with clinical research since the mid- 1980’s. Dr. Sharpe was active in the early US trials of the original Molteno Glaucoma valve. She has been an investigator in almost all of the glaucoma and dry eye medications that are now on the market. She has also participated in many papers and presentations and is actively involved in the residency training program at the Ralph H Johnson VAMC and the the Glaucoma Fellowship Program at MUSC. For the past 20+ years she has been the Chief of Ophthalmology at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Charleston, SC. At present she is actively recruiting for several Glaucoma Clinical trials.